Thursday, April 19, 2007

Calling

One organization that I am a member of is the Colorado Career Development Association (CCDA) is a state affiliate of the National Career Development Association (NCDA), and a division of the Colorado Counseling Association (CCA). The organization exists to serve those who have an interest in career and workforce development issues in Colorado. I have found this to be good experience that has put me in contact with dedicated career counseling professionals.

On April 20th CCDA has invited Gregg Levoy to be the keynote speaker for its annual conference. Gregg is the author of "Callings: Finding and Following An Authentic Life" (Random House). The conference brochure says, "His writings and workshops focus on the idea that any significant change you want to make in your professional or personal life will align or re-align you with your passion and sense of purpose, with your deepest values, with a fit between who you are and what you do. This then is his definition of a calling. That calling could be to make a career change or creative leap, take on a new role or let go of an old one, launch a new venture, or simply make a course-correction in your life or work. Levoy's seminars take a creative approach to the challenges of listening and responding to those calls. The result of engaging your deepest passions-----and thus motivations-----will show up in your work and in your life as greater enthusiasm, creativity and health." Unfortunately I will not be able to attend because I choose to attend the City Impact Round table in Texas, but his description of calling is very compelling.

For leaders in mission knowing God's calling has always been an important motivation for getting involved in a mission effort, launching a new mission, or making a career decision. As a college student the call of Isaiah in Isaiah 6 was an important step for me to make in realigning my life and career with what I believe to be God's will for my life. How do we know God's calling for our lives? It begins with surrender to the Lordship of Jesus. As the good shepherd in John 10 Jesus goes before us and call us to follow, as sheep. "the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out... his sheep follow him because they know his voice." John 10: 3-5.

From my experience it comes after we have made some decisions and begin to act on those decisions then God "confirms" His call. Isaiah writes, "you will hear a word behind you when you turn to the right or to the left, 'This is the way walk in it." Ephesians 2:10 provides assurance that because we are God's workmanship He will guide us to the good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

I also believe that God's calling will always be consistent with our design. As we recognize our strengths, our interests, our spiritual gifts, and our abilities that are demonstrated through life, these are guideposts to know God's calling. John WP Oliver was my pastor when I was a college student. I met with him to discuss my future. He gave me some advice that I have never forgotten, "Discerning a need does not constitute God's call. In life you will be exposed to many needs but you will have to choose which need God intends for you." This took the pressure off of me and caused me to look to the Lord to direct me.

No comments: